Android is rapidly rising as the preferred operating system to develop in this age of mobile development. It allows developers to get to market (TTM) quickly and is open-source, which can be adapted to changing business needs.
Android is an excellent platform for creating applications with advanced functionality.
Android apps can be written in Java or Kotlin. However, app developers prefer Kotlin more. Google even declared that Kotlin was its selected language. We’ll show you the process of Android app development with Kotlin. You just need to enroll in our Kotlin course. Also, if you want insight, here is full-fledged information.
Delve deeper to get a complete insight.
What is Kotlin?
JetBrains developed Kotlin and named it after Kotlin Island, Russia. It’s a cross-platform, statically typed, open-source programming language that can run on virtual Java machines. Although it is an alternative to Java, the Kotlin syntax is not compatible or interoperable with Java. However, it allows you to run Kotlin code separately or with Java. In addition, Kotlin has an aggressive interface that enables you to determine values and expression types, even if they have not been declared. This makes it different than Java.
Kotlin gained popularity due to its support from Google. It is now a first-class Android language and an excellent alternative to Java because it has many valuable features. It also offers expressiveness which makes it an attractive choice. In addition, JetBrains made the language fault-proof, making it easier to maintain. Kotlin is also suitable for JVM development with Java frameworks. JetBrains is also working on the Kotlin Multi-Platform that will allow multi-platform development with shared codebases.
Who is a Kotlin developer?
Kotlin developers are usually Android developers who can build applications using the Kotlin language.
These are some of the most attractive and standard features of Kotlin.
- It’s based on Java, so you can quickly run Kotlin code on any Java platform.
- It is easy to use and has a familiar programming structure, making Kotlin an excellent choice for modifying and identifying errors.
- The advanced compiler can track automatic castings, increasing the check timings’ efficiency.
- Kotlin is easy to understand without the need for particular arguments.
- A simple line such as toString() or equals(0) can execute data within a class.
- It is easy to set up; you need a Kotlin plug-in for your Android studio.
Kotlin is now a more efficient programming language and an alternative to the strong Java language. There are many benefits to Kotlin, as we will see below.
- Because of its intuitive syntax, it helps increase team efficiency. Kotlin allows you to write code in just a few lines.
- Kotlin’s Java code can be easily combined with existing Java code, as Kotlin supports Java interoperability and is compatible with all Java tools.
- Kotlin supports a variety of IDEs, and SDK tools that allow developers to choose their platform and toolkit.
- Kotlin’s compact codebase makes it an easy language to use for code development. It is easy to detect code at compile time that can be fixed before you run the code.
Kotlin has its drawbacks, despite all the benefits.
- Although Java and Kotlin may have some similarities in code structure and basic syntax, they are still very different. Kotlin is better than Java. It requires Kotlin training and team expertise to implement it in your system.
- Kotlin is sometimes faster, but Java is better for clean builds.
- Because Kotlin is still new to the market, there are fewer experts.
All downfalls aside, you can still be successful. Make sure you are ready to learn Kotlin and expand the scope for learning app development.
Technologies used in Android development
After we’ve taken a look at some of the best parts of Android Studio, let us now learn about some programming languages that you’ll encounter as an Android Developer.
- Java: Java was the original primary language for Android Development before the adoption of Kotlin. Java is a complex language, and you may find it in legacy projects. Java is an excellent language, but it will likely be phased out in favor of Kotlin.
- Kotlin: is a cross-platform statically typed programming language that uses type inference. Kotlin was designed to address the problem of Java’s wordiness. It is compatible with all Java SDKs and fully interoperable with Java.
- Android Build System: Android Studio uses Gradle for compiling your applications. Gradle is a toolkit that automates your build process and allows you to customize it. Also, it packages your resources in an Android Application Package (APK), which you can use to test, deploy and release.
- XML: XML is an extensible markup language used to create layout files for Android apps. It’s similar to HTML but more restrictive. Our XML files are usually named to correspond with the activity name in our Java or Kotlin files. XML can also be used in the manifest.xml to define components. XML is the skeleton of our user interface.
Why must developers learn Kotlin?
Why should developers learn Kotlin courses, you ask? We’ll be discussing the benefits of Kotlin and why you should seriously consider adding it as a skill to your repertoire.
Here are six reasons every developer should learn Kotlin course.
- Kotlin experience is in demand
The Realm Report surveys global mobile developers to determine which languages they use. It was found that 20 percent of the apps created in Java prior to Google I/O 2017 are now written in Kotlin. As a result, companies are increasingly looking for Kotlin-skilled developers. Glassdoor is an excellent example of this trend. Many “Android Developer” positions at large companies require Kotlin course knowledge. Realm predicts that Kotlin will be the dominant language for Android, which means there will be a lot more demand for Kotlin skills.
This is not just it. One more discovery says that the number listing jobs requiring Kotlin skills had risen 345 in their ranking for all IT roles over the past six months. Furthermore, these listings included approximately 20% that required Kotlin skills in conjunction with server-side development skills such as Spring and AWS.
2. You’ll develop projects faster
Kotlin is more efficient than other programming languages because it requires less code to accomplish the same tasks. In addition, because it is a concise language, you can solve many common problems in development with just a few lines.
Kotlin is concise and uses powerful abstractions to keep the code easy to read. As a result, you can write code faster and spend less time reviewing code, allowing you to focus on the features that your users want.
Developers love concise, clean code. But, unfortunately, it takes less code to write and less time to read, and it is more susceptible to bugs.
3. Apps will be more quality.
Kotlin increases the quality of your apps by implementing safety features. These safety features are designed to minimize bugs and reduce system failures. It has a robust type system that is null-safety based. This means that variables cannot be null by default. If you learn the Kotlin course, you can catch more errors at compile time before users are shipped. This is very useful.
4. It can be used with existing Java libraries
Kotlin can seamlessly integrate with Java so that apps you have already created can be incrementally migrated to Kotlin. Java is not the only option. Extension functions allow you to add functionality to existing Java classes without having to rewrite Kotlin. You can now take advantage of Kotlin’s powerful features without having to rewrite all your skills from building apps.
5. Supported by Google for Android development.
Google officially supported Kotlin during Google I/O in May 2017. One year later, Google announced to the I/O 2018 audience:
Google’s commitment to Kotlin development means that Android Studio 3.0 fully supports it. This allows you to get started quickly without having to learn another tool. So, what are you waiting for? Learn Kotlin course and convert Java to Kotlin code within Android Studio with a click.
6. You have many options for learning how to improve your skills.
Kotlin’s functionality is easily recognizable for anyone who has used Java. Therefore, learning the Kotlin course can be easy. There are many great resources to learn the basic syntax and more complex topics quickly. Start by checking out the language guide, then try some Kotlin Koans (interactive exercises that help developers get familiar with Kotlin). The Kotlin developers community is an excellent resource to expand your knowledge and is rapidly growing. Experienced developers often recommend newbies to learn Kotlin Slack CHannel, which is very active.
Learning Kotlin course has many benefits, both for business and professional. It increases developer productivity and makes debugging easier (because there is less code to inspect). This also helps with app development. In addition, because it is interoperable with Java, it’s simple to use and easy to learn. These are just a few reasons it is so popular with developers.
Why is Kotlin course so popular among mobile app developers?
Let’s find out what makes “Kotlin” so popular and how it allows for developing a practical app:
- It is very efficient:
Developers who have to create apps quickly and efficiently know that time is money. Debugging, removing bugs, and rewriting codes can take much time and delay development.
Kotlin course is easy to understand and use when writing code. Because it cuts down the code length by 20%, developers can spend less time developing apps than Java. In addition, the syntax is easy to understand, and the code can be tested quickly.
- It provides interoperability
Developers can run their Java code on Kotlin with ease thanks to interoperability. However, they need to add a Java class above any Kotlin project they are building.
Kotlin provides 100% interoperability, allowing developers to write code much faster and with fewer hassles. Kotlin is based on Java library and tools and supports backward compatibility with the 6 and 7 Java versions.
- It also has extension functions.
Developers can add additional features to existing applications using Kotlin’s extension functions. For example, they don’t need to inherit any data classes. This makes it easier for them to release updates faster.
- It comes with default parameters.
Developers can use the default parameters provided by Kotlin to make their arguments more useful by passing them by name rather than index. This is particularly useful for android developers who have to write lengthy codes or when there are many optional parameters.
- It does not provide safety.
Developers can make costly mistakes by using null references in their code. Kotlin is designed to remove invalid references or errors. Java developers must use null reference exceptions when accessing Java. However, Kotlin eliminates the NullPointerException and increases data consistency. Kotlin’s null safety is one of its most significant advantages.
- It serves a cast function.
Smart cast functions reduce the application’s time and increase performance. The cast function determines which type of function is being performed and executes all operations that are coded for that type. This increases efficiency.
Smart cast not only improves application performance but also saves time for developers and reduces the time it takes for applications to reach the market.
- It requires less code.
The Kotlin programming language does not require lengthy code to be written. This makes it less complicated and saves developers a lot of time. The Kotlin compiler interprets the code and completes any remaining code. This increases productivity.
- There are many data classes.
Developers argue over the necessity of separate data classes to identify a specific category. Kotlin allows developers to write code that is similar to Java but in a simpler way. The developer doesn’t need to write long lines, saving him a lot of time.
Kotlin ranks among the most popular languages on GitHub. According to a survey, 62.9% are using Kotlin and are interested in continuing it.
Kotlin Android Developers Roles And Responsibilities:
Except for having a good understanding of Kotlin, the roles, and responsibilities assigned to Kotlin developers are similar to those of Android developers.
- Kotlin is used to create and develop modern, secure, and feature-rich Android applications.
- Understanding requirements is critical to translating wireframes and designs into code.
- To improve performance, identify and fix bugs
- To create high-performance apps, you must coordinate with the test and design teams.
- As per your requirements, work with APIs and other data sources.
- Maintain code quality, reusability, and code evaluation.
- To improve the developer experience, discover and implement new technologies.
- Unit code testing ensures that it works correctly and provides the best user experience.
- Work with your team members to develop, plan, and ship new features.
- Security measures should be implemented following the overall security goals.
- Kotlin is used to design, create, build, and release an Android mobile app.
Android Kotlin developers are responsible for creating android apps that integrate well with the backend. In addition, they are responsible for maintaining and creating Android apps, from initial requirements to product release.
What are the requirements to become a Kotlin developer?
This is the list of skills required to become an Android Kotlin Developer:
- Relevant experience in Android app development
- To write clear, readable, and maintainable code, you must have proficiency in Java and Kotlin languages.
- Android Studio and Android SDK are available to experience the best Android Studio.
- Experience in designing, developing, implementing, and releasing mobile apps, which we will provide you with our Kotlin course.
- You must be familiar with agile development concepts, CI/CD pipelines, and other relevant information.
- Extensive experience in developing end-to-end Android mobile apps, from design and development to deployments to store stores.
- Solid understanding of the app lifecycle, architecture principles, and design fundamentals
- Strong technical and communication skills, problem-solving mindset, and analytical capabilities
- Expertise in quality control processes and debugging
- To connect your app to backend services, you should be familiar with RESTful APIs as well as XML
- Know the most recent mobile app architectures and emerging technologies
- To simplify user interaction, you need to be familiar with state management.
- Be familiar with Agile and DevOps methodologies.
- Understanding version control systems and tools (e.g., GitHub).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, verbal as well as written
- To build unique Android products, you need to be a critical thinker, an analyst, and a curious professional with an urge to learn and grow.
How to start your career as an app developer in Kotlin?
Kotlin is an easy language for beginners that makes app development seamless. Moreover, it is a plus to have a good knowledge of Python and Java too.
To learn it effectively, however, you should first consider these prerequisites:
- Basic knowledge of programming languages and their functionality.
- Understanding the environment of app development
- For mobile app development, familiarity with Android and iOS
- It is necessary to have basic web design and database knowledge.
In your quest to learn Kotlin, you should know IDEs to start app development quickly.
IDEs offer a more robust option for app developers. They include a source-code editor that can be used to create code. Three of the most popular IDEs are IntelliJ IDEA and Eclipse.
Start your journey to becoming a Kotlin developer with Bcoder!
Let’s conquer Android! Learn all about this powerful programming language. It will surprise you that apps such as Chat Messenger, Music Players, Games, Calculators, and others can be created using Kotlin.
This new language is used to develop apps. It is known as the perfect language that supports all features of Android app development.
This knowledge adds value to your start as a Kotlin app developer. It’s up to you to follow your goals and preferences. We can only tell you to keep your eyes on the prize and to practice, understand, and integrate concepts to build a portfolio that will make you an exceptional Android App Developer.